Monday, August 2, 2010

My Father Baruch

Since I wasn't able to attend his funeral, 20.000km's away, 10 days after we said farewell to each other and I left the Netherlands for New Zealand again, I believe I can justify turning this blog into a kind of "memorial" to my father.
Sorting out my father's belongings, we found a wealth of old photographs, filled shoe-box after shoe-box... 
Here (above), my dad poses with beret in an unknown Dutch location with friends in front of a VW Beetle. It must be in the late 1950's. 
Below my grandparents, Abraham and Helena Esther, with beret.
At the end of 1944, when the southern part of the Netherlands was liberated by American, Canadian and Polish troops, my father managed to escape the Nazi occupied northern territory of the Netherlands to the province of Brabant and joined the Red Cross.
I don't think he features on any of these pictures (he was most likely the photographer), but it is likely the period of his first beret. {Does anyone know what motorbike this is?}. Look at the extreme angle of these berets, just balancing on the side of their heads.
Baruch's birthday is the 2nd of August - he would have turned 88 this year.

No comments:

Post a Comment