Saturday, September 20, 2014

Coffee in Wellington

I can't help but feeling proud of my city, Wellington, when reading this article. 
Being a coffee snob myself, I totally recognize what this is about. Coffee, the drug that I'd find difficult living without, is worshiped and treated with the utmost respect here.
And it is only on a holiday to Queensland (AU) or a trip to Europe, that I realize that the situation is very different in other places around the world (that's putting it very mildly!). 
Numerous cafe's in the Netherlands unashamedly have their latte's and cappuccino's made by pushing 2 buttons on a machine (a combination of Nescafe and some sort of instant formula milk) and in Germany the 'flat white ' I ordered came out as a weak coffee with whipped cream on top. It's tough. 
In Wellington we are blessed with many small boutique coffee roasters; Havana (my preference) has a beautiful organic bean of Vanuatu, while Peoples Coffee do a great runner up in the form of their Mexican Chiapas. 
Of course, you can't underestimate the influence of a barista on the quality of what you actually drink, but so is the vessel that holds your coffee of utmost importance. When on the go, this is the absolute best you can get! Remember your ABC: Attitude, Beret, Coffee. 

1 comment:

  1. How about ABT: Attitude, Beret, Tea? I've never been a coffee drinker but I do love my tea. The best thing happening now in NZ is that more and more cafes are serving loose tea instead of the awful bagged tea. I can actually control the infusion of the tea before removing the leaves and enjoying the cuppa. The coffee and tea palates of we NZers is becoming more demanding of the real thing.

    ReplyDelete